AI Collaborative Network News
The Ethics of AI 2019 Wrap Up + More!
August 2019 | Yolanda Sam
In this issue:
- Ethics of AI 2019 - Wrap up + win a copy of Ellen Broad's book!
- Connect with the AICN Community
- Data Collaboration Update - Working with the Birthing Kit Foundation Australia
- Get involved with our Data & AI Tech Meetup
What a line up! From left to right: Daniel Kiley, Mor Vered, Ellen Broad, Nick Lothian, Caroline McMillen, Yolanda Sam, Niels Wouters, Terry Sweeney and Andy Stapleton
Ethics of AI 2019 - Wrap Up
On August 15th, The AI Collaborative Network (AICN) celebrated National Science Week with a multi-city event on the Ethics of A.I 2019 in Adelaide, with screenings in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, Hobart, Brisbane and an online live stream reaching over 700 people across Australia!
What an evening, with the Chief Scientist for South Australia Caroline McMillen opening the evening; Ellen Broad delivering a keynote on the Ethics of AI; Mor Veredspeaking about Human-Centered Explainable AI; a live demo of the Biometric Mirror with Niels Wouters, followed by a thought-provoking panel discussion led by the dynamic Andy Stapleton, with Ellen, Mor, Daniel Kiley and Terry Sweeney taking questions from all around Australia such as:
- Is AI coming for my job?
- How do we balance protecting the public from crime and protecting people’s privacy?
- Is the law keeping up with developments in AI? Are we ready for regulations and do we need to consider international treaties?
For those that missed it, we have made a full recording and presentation slides available here!
We are incredibly thankful to all of our sponsors, organisers, volunteers and speakers from all around Australia - full acknowledgement of all involved in this Twitter thread.
Win a copy of Ellen Broad's "Made By Humans: The AI Condition"
Did you attend the Ethics of A.I. 2019 or tune into the live stream?
We appreciate and value all feedback - if you’d like to let us know your thoughts on the event and presentations, consider filling out this short survey! You'll go in the draw to win 1 of 3 copies of Ellen Broad's book Made By Humans: The AI Condition! Entries close 5pm 31 August 2019
Connect with the AICN Community!
Join the AICN Slack to continue the discussion on AI, connect with the Australian community, get involved with our Data Collaboration working group, share interesting research and discuss AI news!
Once you've joined the AICN Slack, here are some channels to look out for:
- #data-collab: Join the Data Collaboration Working Group to use AI for social good
- #ethics: For discussing and sharing resources on AI and tech ethics.
- #ethics-bookclub: Develop your knowledge on AI and tech ethics by joining our online AI Ethics Book Club where we discuss books, articles, documentaries and other media every month. Available online/remotely as well as in Adelaide.
- #healthyhabits: Healthy eating, exercise and habits. Not always AI!
- #jobs-career: Post AI jobs and look for work
Data Collaboration Update
The Data Collaboration Working Group is a group of data and AI practitioners, designers and analysts coming together to use AI for social good. We have been working with the Birthing Kit Foundation Australia to make better use of their data to tackle maternal and new born mortality in developing countries. Join the #data-collab channel to find out more, participate, or lead a group.
Data and AI Tech Meetups
The AICN run regular Data and AI Tech Meetups, showcasing various applications and innovations in AI with the data and AI practitioner community in Adelaide. Get in touch to speak, sponsor or co-organise with us!